Thursday, March 27, 2014

Awesome, Amazing, Adventurous, Class A!

Hi y'all,
We are on a break right now from finishing our first TIP teaching session here in Beijing, China. I had 31 teachers from Shandong Province in my group. I had wondered what it would be like helping adults older than me improve their English speaking ability--many of whom had already been an English teacher anywhere from 10 to 20+ years. Our main goals are in the ABCs. We wanted the students to "Attack your limitations", "Build your confidence" and "Commit yourself" -- all in an English-only environment. Although it may sound like a daunting task, they were very friendly and kind towards me. I taught them new games and activities they could use in the classroom to promote English learning. All in all, it was encouragement that they needed to become more confident in speaking English. It was a wonderful 21-day transformation to see students go from shyness to boldness of speech. Some highlights included watching movies together, performing dramas in the classroom, playing games during PE time and giving a speech. Perhaps one of the most memorable moments for me was when I was asked to participate in the talent show to sing Amazing Grace with my class! Please enjoy that moment with me in the video below.
Peace & Love,
JoJo / George

No comments:

Post a Comment